National Milk Chocolate with Almonds Day
Milk Chocolate Soufflés with Nougat Whip
From Bon Appetit
12 ounces high-quality milk chocolate, chopped
1/2 plus 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 large egg yolks
Pinch of salt
7 large egg whites, at room temperature, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon amaretto or other almond liqueur
1/4 cup whole almonds, toasted , chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter eight 3/4-cup soufflé dishes and coat completely with sugar, tapping out any excess. Place prepared soufflé dishes on large baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine chocolate and 1/2 cup cream in large metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from over water and stir in egg yolks and salt.
- Using electric mixer, beat 6 egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until semi-firm peaks form. Using rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold remaining egg whites into chocolate mixture in 2 additions. Divide chocolate mixture among prepared soufflé dishes, filling dishes completely.
- Using electric mixer, beat remaining egg white in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add honey, beating until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Combine remaining cream and amaretto in another medium bowl and beat until thick and soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream mixture and almonds into meringue.
- Bake soufflés on baking sheet until puffed and tops feel firm, about 16 minutes. Serve soufflés immediately, passing nougat whip alongside.