National Strawberry Shortcake Day
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
From Food & Wine
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided and at room temperature
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the granulated sugar with the eggs and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract at medium-high speed until smooth and thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the melted butter and oil and beat until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and 1/2 cup of milk in 3 alternating batches, beating well between additions. Carefully pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about two-thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for 20 to 23 minutes, until springy and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool slightly in the muffin tin, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the softened butter at medium speed until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar, remaining vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and beat the mixture at low speed just until combined. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until smooth. Add the remaining milk and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix the frosting with strawberry jam to taste. Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes and serve.