National Cherry Cobbler Day
Sweet Cherry Cobbler
3 cups frozen dark sweet cherries (14 oz; not thawed)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Scant 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits
1/3 cup well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cook the cherries, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar begins to dissolve, about 3 minutes. Pour mixture into a 9-inch glass pie plate (1 inch deep).
- Whisk together the flour, 2 teaspoons of the remaining sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter using your fingers or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the buttermilk until just combined; do not overmix.
- Drop the dough in 4 mounds over the filling, leaving space in between each mound. Sprinkle the biscuits with the remaining teaspoon of sugar.
- Bake the cobbler until the topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly and serve warm.