National Raspberry Tart Day
1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 to 4 tablespoons cold water, divided
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 cups raspberries, picked over
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a food processor blend together 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 2 tablespoons water and toss until incorporated. Add enough remaining water if necessary until mixture begins to come together but is still crumbly.
- Press crust evenly onto bottom and sides of a pie pan. Prick crust with a fork and bake in middle of oven until golden, about 30 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, beat together the cream cheese, remaining sugar, vanilla, and egg until smooth with an electric hand mixer. Add flour and blend mixture well.
- Pour filling into warm crust, spreading evenly, and bake in middle of oven until set, about 20 minutes. Cool tart in pan on a rack.
- In a small saucepan heat jam with 1 tablespoon water over moderate heat, stirring, until melted and smooth. Remove pan from heat and cool jam slightly. Arrange raspberries decoratively on top of tart and brush gently with jam.