National Cheeseball Day
I didn’t make a cheeseball, but here are some recipes that intrigued me and I will be trying for my next get together.
Chesapeake Cheddar Cheese Ball
From Cheese and Champagne
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup crushed pecans
- Mix first four ingredients, through Old Bay seasoning, with a stand or hand mixer until well combined.
- Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour. Shape the cheese into a ball and roll in crushed pecans until evenly coated. Wrap and store in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature (at least 30 minutes) before serving.
Havarti, Parsley, and Garlic Cheese Ball
From the Kitchn
6 ounces of Havarti cheese, shredded
4 ounces (half a package) full-fat cream cheese
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and trimmed
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon horseradish (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Let the cheeses sit out at room temperature for about an hour to soften. Whir the toasted pine nuts in a small food processor briefly, just until they are cracked into smaller bits. Remove and set aside on a large plate. Blend the the garlic, parsley and horseradish to a paste in the food processor, then add the cheeses. Blend until well mixed. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Let the mixture firm up the fridge then roll into a ball and coat with cracked pine nuts. Serve with whole grain crackers.
Goat Cheese and Scallion Cheese Ball
From Martha Stewart
1/3 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 package cream cheese (8 ounces)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
Pinch of coarse salt
Pinch of white pepper
8 ounces goat cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
1/3 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 English cucumber, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices, for serving
- Put butter, cream cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, and pepper into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until combined. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir goat cheese and scallions and form into a ball. Roll in parsley to coat before serving. Serve with cucumber slices.