National Spanish Paella Day
Due to my budget – I had to forgo a real Spanish Paella and settle for a Chicken Paella. However, here is a recipe for a Spanish Paella. I can’t vouch for the delicious-ness of it, but, come on, when you have all of this good stuff in one dish, how can it be bad?!
From Recipe Zaar
3 cups bomba or calasparra
8 cups chicken stock
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bell pepper, diced
10-15 flat green beans
4 plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
15 large shrimp, peeled except for the tail (feel free to add clams, calamari, prawns or mussels)
2-3 lbs rabbit, legs separated and remaining meat sliced (can substitute chicken thighs)
4 links chorizo sausages, frito sliced into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh parsley
2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1 pinch saffron
3 lemons, quartered
- Lightly salt the rabbit, shrimp. Bring stock to a simmer and keep on low heat during the cooking process.
- Coat a paella pan with olive oil and heat over high heat. Brown chorizo for 1-2 minutes and set aside. Brown the rabbit for 2-3 minutes and set aside. Add the garlic, onion, and bell pepper and cook until softened. Add the tomatoes.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan and add the tomato paste. Carmalize the paste, about 1-2 minutes. Add the chorizo and rabbit back to the pan, and mix with the vegetables with the tomato paste. Add the paprika, parsley, and thyme.
- Add the rice and saffron; and stir until rice is browned, about 1-2 minutes. Add enough chicken stock to cover the entire mixture. Bring to a boil and lower to medium heat. Stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes, adding broth as necessary so that the rice is fully covered. Cook for another 12 minutes without stirring, adding broth to keep the rice covered. Place the shrimp on top of the rice and cook for another 4 minutes without stirring. Flip the shrimp and continue cooking for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Once the rice has finished cooking (to al dente), remove the paella from the heat and cover. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.