National Pistachio Day
Chicken Meat Loaf
From Real Simple
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 small yellow onion, quartered
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into large pieces
3 chicken-breast halves
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 green apple, peeled and grated
1 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup shelled pistachios
3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Add chicken breasts to a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let chicken sit in the hot water for 20 minutes. Remove from the water, cover with wax paper and pound until 1/4-inch thick. Finely chop, about 1/8-inch dice, and set aside.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a 9-by-3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mustard, oil, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the tomato paste. In a food processor, chop the garlic, onion, and carrot until finely chopped. Transfer to the bowl. Add chicken, scallions, apple, and bread crumbs to the bowl. Using your hands, mix to combine well.
- Place half the meat-loaf mixture in the pan. Sprinkle on the pistachios in 1 layer. Top with the remaining meat-loaf mixture, pressing gently. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the maple syrup and remaining tomato paste. Brush the glaze over the meat loaf and return it to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let rest, covered with foil, for 10 minutes before serving.