National Almond Day
Chicken in Almond Sauce
Adapted from Gourmet
3/4 cup sliced almonds
3 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaf
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 turkey bacon slices, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
2 large tablespoon chopped garlic (2 to 3 cloves)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Toast the almond slices in a large skillet over medium heat. Place in a small bowl. In the same skillet, toast the cinnamon stick, oregano, and bay leaf, about 2 minutes. Place in another small bowl. Finely grind 1/2 cup of the almonds in a food processor. Add the ground almonds to the same bowl with the cinnamon, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt. Heat the oil in the same skillet over high heat. Saute the chicken, turning over once, until golden. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add bacon to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until bacon begins to render fat and turn golden, about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in ground-almond mixture and chicken broth and boil, scraping up brown bits, 1 minute. Stir in pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf and reserve in a small bowl. Add the rest of the skillet’s contents to a food processor and puree. Return the puree to the skillet, add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and chicken. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Serve the chicken on top of cooked brown rice, top with sauce, and sprinkle with the rest of the toasted, sliced almonds.