National Rhubarb Pie Day
I tried my hardest, but I just could not find rhubarb. I guess that’s what you get for trying to find something that is not in season. Speaking of not being in season, why is National Rhubarb Day in January if rhubarb is not in season until April?! I tried finding frozen or canned rhubarb – no luck. I even looked online to see if I could order something, but prices are steep and I’m on a budget. I’m posting the recipe I was going to make with a promise that it will get made during rhubarb season!
Savory Rhubarb Tart
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp white sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 stick butter, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
3 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp cold water
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt. Cut butter in with a pastry butter. Add ice water slowly, as needed, until dough sticks together. Do not overwork. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
3 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 3 inch lengths and then but on a bias
1/2 cup fresh goat cheese
1/2 cup pine nuts or 2/4 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 head of garlic
2 tbsp white sugar
3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive, plus more for drizzling
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roast a head of garlic: cut top of head off, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn oven up to 400 F. Poach red onions in olive oil over low heat until thoroughly soft, no browning. While they soften, mix the flour, sugar, salt and cardamom with the rhubarb. Set aside.
- Roll out one disk of dough and place in a 10″ square tart pan with removable bottom. Trim excess and save for another use. To assemble the tart, remove red onions from olive oil, reserving oil for later. Crush 4 or 5 cloves of the roasted garlic. Place onions and garlic on bottom of tart. Layer nuts on top of onions and garlic. Arrange rhubarb in aesthetically pleasing pattern atop nuts. Drizzle remaining onion-infused olive oil over top of tart. Place tart on parchment-covered baking sheet. Bake at 400 F for approximately 30-35 minutes. Tart will pull away from pan and will be golden when done.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Dapple small pieces of goat cheese across top of tart and serve.