National Blonde Brownie Day
Blondie Brownie Sundae
A recipe developed by my mom and me
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 8-inch square baking pan
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Set aside and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Scrape the butter and sugar mixture, once cool, into a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, maple flavoring, and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until completely blended. Stir in the nuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool in the pan, set on a wire rack.
For Maple Butter Sauce:
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light karo syrup
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons maple flavoring
1/4 cup water
- In a heavy saucepan, combine flour, sugar, salt. Stir in the water slowly. Add in the evaporated milk and syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 5-8 minutes).
- Stir in the butter and maple flavoring.
Vanilla ice cream
- To serve, place a brownie on a plate, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, about 1/4 cup of the hot maple butter sauce, and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts