National Hot and Spicy Food Day
A day late, sorry! Schedule was a little hectic yesterday and this takes 4 hours to marinate which I did not realize until 3:45 pm today…
Spicy Jerk Chicken
Adapted from MyRecipes.com
1 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 onion, peeled and quartered (about 1/2 pound)
8 garlic cloves, peeled
2 serrano chiles, seeded
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce OR 3 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- Combine first 5 ingredients (thyme through chiles) in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Remove 1/4 cup of the chile mixture and set aside. Add lime juice to food processor; process until smooth.
- Arrange chicken in a large shallow dish. Spread lime juice mixture over chicken. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 4 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 15 minutes on each side or until done.
- While chicken broils, prepare rice mixture. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add reserved 1/4 cup chile mixture; saute 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Stir in sweet potato; cook 10 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Serve rice alongside one chicken breast. Drizzle with Pickapeppa sauce or the Worchestershire/hot sauce mixture.