National Strawberry Ice Cream Day
Strawberry Ice Cream
Adapted from Grandma Jones (thanks Aaron and Erin!)
6 cups mocha mix
1 ¾ cups sugar, divided
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoon vanilla
4 egg yolks
1 pound strawberries, diced
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tbsp)
- Combine strawberries with lemon juice and ¼ cup sugar. Let sit for 1 ½ hours.
- Puree the strawberries with their juice and set aside.
- Combine mocha mix, 1 ½ cups sugar, salt, vanilla, egg yolks in a large bowl. Mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the mocha mixture to an ice cream machine and churn for 30 minutes, until thickened. Add the strawberry puree to the rest of the ice cream and churn 10 minutes until mixed completely.
- Add the ice cream to containers and freeze 30 minutes before serving.
- You can find mocha mix near the liquid coffee creamers.
- If using a 3 cup ice cream maker, this has to be done in two batches.