National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day
Pastrami Reuben Melt
Adapted from Damien McEvoy
4 slices dill rye bread
6 slices pastrami
4 slices swiss cheese
4 ounces sauerkraut, drained
butter or margarine for grilling
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
dash of hot sauce
- Mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, capers, and hot sauce in a small bowl.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with the butter or margarine
- Heat a pan over heat medium heat
- Spread each slice of bread with the dressing on the non-buttered side. Place two slices of cheese, 3 slices of pastrami, and half of the sauerkraut on top of the dressing. Place a second piece of bread on top, dressing side down.
- Place the sandwich in the pan and cook until cheese is melted and is golden brown. Flip the sandwich and cook until the other slice of bread is golden brown.