National Bean Day
Black Bean Tostadas
Adapted from Cooking Light
1/2 cup chopped peeled avocado
1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lime juice, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and ancho chili powder. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
- To prepare salsa, combine avocado, tomato, green onions, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss gently, and set aside.
- Combine water, 2 tablespoons lime juice, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, ground red pepper, and black beans in a blender; process until smooth.
- When chicken is cooked, preheat the broiler. Spread the chicken when it is cool enough to handle.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet, and spread about 1/4 cup black bean mixture evenly over each tortilla. Top each evenly with 1/4 cup chicken and 3 tablespoons cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and tortilla edges are just beginning to brown.
- Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup salsa, and 2 tablespoons sour cream.