National Spaghetti Day
Spaghetti with Bolognese Sauce
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
1- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons beef broth
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 package whole wheat spaghetti
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is very tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, add the ground beef, and saute until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up any large lumps.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- If the sauce is too thick, add the beef broth and continue to cook until the flavors all meld together.
- Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top cooked spaghetti noodles with Bolognese sauce, sprinkle with a little extra shredded Parmesan cheese and serve with garlic bread.